Crocheting gifts for others can be so fun and so stressful all at the same time. The hours of love and care that go into our crafting are so special and, when that gift sometimes doesn’t fit quite right, or right at all it can be heartbreaking.
This is why when choosing a crochet pattern, it is so important to select one that includes a sizing chart. This will help you to determine which size of the accessory to make, based on your own measurements or measurements of others.
Get measurements when you can!
One thing I always ask for before making a gift for anyone is measurements – especially babies. The head sizes vary so greatly and although these charts are extremely useful they are not by any means failproof. So as the saying goes ‘measure twice, crochet once’.
These charts will give you the standard sizing for head, feet and hand according to the Craft Yarn Council and are a great starting point. But, if you are unsure of your own measurements, you can take them by following the instructions below.
Below you will find easy guidelines for how to take measurements for head, hands and feet so that you can get the best fit possible for your crochet items.
These charts are not difficult to use, but they are important in order to create an accessory that is the right size.
Keep in mind that these measurements are only guidelines – you may need to adjust them slightly depending on your personal gauge and tension.
How to measure heads for crochet hats
To get an accurate measurement, use a tape measure and measure around the head just above the ears. Write down this measurement and then compare it to a crochet measurement chart.
The crochet pattern you are using may tell you what size hook and yarn to use based on the measurement of your head as sometimes a designer may change hook size to change the finished size of the hat.
Once you have everything you need, start crocheting! Pay attention to the tension of your stitches and how the hat is shaping up as you go.
Newest Posts to the Blog
- Brighton Christmas Hat Ornament – Free Crochet Pattern
- Brighton Christmas Stocking Ornament – Free Crochet Pattern
- Free Easy Crochet Pattern for The Montero Cozy Cowl
- Free and Easy Crochet Hooded Sock Monkey Cowl Pattern
How to measure feet for crochet slippers
When crocheting slippers, it is important to ensure that the slippers will fit snugly on the feet. Measuring the feet and then following a specific pattern will help to ensure that the finished product will be the right size.
There are a few different ways that feet can be measured for crochet slippers.
One way to measure feet for crochet slippers is by tracing the outline of each foot onto a piece of paper. Once the foot is traced, measure the length from the heel to the longest toe. This measurement will be used to determine how long to make the sole of the slipper.
The width of the foot can also be measured at this time. This measurement will be used to determine how wide to make the body of the slipper.
Another way is to use a tape measure and measure from the heel to where you want the slipper to end.
To measure the total length of your foot, place a ruler or tape measure on the floor. Position the back of your heel at the beginning of the tape and measure to your longest toe.
To measure foot circumference, measure around the widest part of your foot.
Source: Craft Yarn Councils www.yarnstandards.com
More Free Crochet Resources on The Blog
- How to Become a Crochet Tester
- Crochet Cozies – Do They Really Work?
- Ultimate Guide to Mastering Crochet Gauge
- Free Crochet Sizing Chart Download
- Free Printable Crochet Blanket Measurement Chart
- U.S. to U.K. Crochet Stitch Guide
- Crochet Blanket Pattern Resizing Calculator
- Free Printable Crochet Stitch Chart with Symbols
How to measure hands for crochet mittens
When you are ready to crochet a pair of mittens, you will need to measure your hands. To do this, you will need a tape measure and someone to help you.
- First, have the person holding the tape measure wrap it around your hand at the base of your fingers, just above the thumb. Make sure that the tape measure is snug but not too tight. Write down this measurement.
- Next, you will need your hand length. Measure from the base of the hand to the tip of your longest finger.
- Last sometimes it is handy (not always needed) to also have your wrist measurement. This should be taken at the widest part of your wrist.
Finally, use the first two measurements to determine which size pattern you will need, using the chart below.
Need help to download and print?
As you can see, taking accurate measurements is an important part of creating an accessory that will fit well. This free printable crochet measurement chart is a handy tool to keep in your crochet kit so you can refer to it whenever you need to.
Now that you know how to take your own measurements and read a crochet pattern, you’re ready to get started on your first project!
How to download and print the pdf
- Click on the link to the PDF. A new window should pop up with the document.
- In the upper right corner of the new window, click on the download icon (the downward arrow). The PDF will now download onto your computer.
- Once it has downloaded, open up the document. Depending on what program you have to open PDFs, you may have to double-click on it or right-click and then select “Open with…”
- Once open, go to File in the top left corner of your screen and click Print (or press Command + P on a Mac).
- Select your printer and make sure you are using the correct paper size.
- On the left side, under Page Sizing and Handling, click on Fit to Printable Area.
- Make sure that Scale to Fit is checked and click on Print.